LWR Farmers Market Coffee is coffee direct from farmer to you. With each delicious bag you buy, a farmer gets a strong up-front price for their beans, shares in the profits from the coffee, and a percentage of your purchase helps fund Lutheran World Relief's ongoing work with vulnerable farmers around the world. It's good coffee that does good!
This recipe comes from Jan Kruger, one of the many hard-working men and women who assemble LWR Quilts & Kits to go around the world to people in need. Because quilters tend to gather together to do their work, we thought they'd have particularly good ideas of desserts to share — and Jan did not disappoint!
Melanie Gibbons, Lutheran World Relief's Quilt & Kit Ministry Manager, took on this recipe with just a few modifications (see below for details). She also took on a recipe by a fellow staff member — Myron's Orange Scones — so be sure to check that out as well!
By day, Melanie helps Lutherans across the United States put their faith into action by making and donating LWR Quilts and Kits of Care. At home, she's an avid baker! Melanie loves to bake all sorts of things, but she especially excels at cakes and breads.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, *optional
- 1 tablespoon milk, *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan, or a 10 inch Bundt cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, and butterscotch pudding mix. Add the eggs, oil and water, mix until well blended. In another bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts.** Pour half of the batter into the pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Cover with the rest of the batter, and sprinkle with the rest of the nut mixture. (**If using a bundt pan, you can add the cinnamon layer first so this layer ends up on the top of your cake instead of the bottom. If you're going to use a glaze, this reversal isn't critical.)
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 m, then turn out onto rack. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk in a ziplock bag, cut off corner, and drizzle over cooled cake.
Try it with LWR Farmers Market Coffee!
The rich taste of this luscious cake makes a great complement to LWR Farmers Market Coffee Dark Roast. And the crunchy sugar on the inside and outside of this cake make it perfect for dunking!
And as you enjoy this beautiful bundt (with coffee!) know that with LWR Farmers Market Coffee, farmers get a strong, up-front price for their beans, and share in the profits once they are sold as coffee — plus, 80 cents of each pound purchased is donated back to Lutheran World Relief to reach out to even more farmers in need.
By purchasing this delicious coffee, you are becoming part of farmers' success stories.