Why school supplies? To the children who receive School Kits, these supplies mean the difference between getting an education or not. Public school is usually free, but in the places where LWR works, even a few required supplies, like pens and paper, may be more than many families can afford.
And when parents can only afford to send one of their children to school, girls rarely get priority…yet the education level of mothers has the biggest impact on development.
What to Include
General Assembly Instructions
Lutheran World Relief’s Quilt & Kit Ministry is highly regarded throughout the world because of the quality and consistency of the Quilts and Kits we share. Your careful adherence to the instructions in this guide will ensure that all LWR Quilts and Kits are:
LWR works closely with our overseas partners to determine the best contents to include in Kits. Your Kits will do the most good possible when containing only the items listed in these guidelines.
Consistency of Quilt sizes and Kit contents helps our partners plan properly for distributing a shipment, and keeps international shipping processes cost-effective and efficient. Disparity in Kit contents can cause costly delays.
When all Kits contain the same items, recipients are treated equally and fairly which is important for those who have already experienced a great deal of injustice or tragedy.
For Quilts and all Kits, please also follow these guidelines:
- Please give new items only, except where otherwise noted. Sending top quality items shows the greatest care and respect for the dignity of the recipient. Quality items also withstand the harsh conditions that many people who receive these supplies are facing.
- Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your congregation’s name. LWR provides Quilts and Kits based on need, regardless of religious creed. Religious references may be misinterpreted by the governments of the receiving countries, jeopardizing the delivery to the people who need the items most.
- Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage. LWR and our overseas partners have access to areas of the world others do not because we are impartial humanitarian organizations. If our intentions are misinterpreted as being politically motivated, our work, our partners and the people we assist could be endangered.
- Please give new items only, except where otherwise noted
- Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your congregation’s name.
- Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage.
Do not add other items or leave out any of the items listed. All items should be new and in good condition. Remove any excess packaging, pack all items in bag and close. Do not enclose the Kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
Include the following items in each School Kit:
Four 70-sheet notebooks of wide- or college-ruled paper approximately 8” X 10½”; no loose-leaf paper
One 30-centimeter ruler, or a ruler with centimeters on one side and inches on the other
One pencil sharpener
One blunt scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
Five unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers; secure together with a rubber band
Five black or blue ballpoint pens (no gel ink); secure together with a rubber band
One box of 16 or 24 crayons
One 2½” eraser
One sturdy drawstring backpack-style cloth bag approximately 14” X 17” with shoulder straps (no standard backpacks)
Quilt & Kit Tracker
You can now log on to our Quilt & Kit Tracker and print out a special barcode to put on your shipment of Quilts & Kits. That way, you and your congregation can track your gifts as they reach those in need all around the world.
Packing & Sending Kits
- Pack completed Quilts and Kits, like items together, in boxes. Label contents in LARGE, BLOCK LETTERS on the outside of the boxes.
- Use strong cartons secured with packing tape, not to exceed 40 pounds.
- Do not use plastic or paper bags to pack donations.
Include the name and address of your congregation on each box, label contents and send prepaid to or drop off at the LWR warehouse closest to you:
Lutheran World Relief
601 Main Street
PO Box 188
New Windsor, MD 21776
Lutheran World Relief
398 East Richmond Street
South St. Paul, MN 55075
The warehouses accept items year-round. Call ahead for driving directions and hours of operation if you are personally delivering your donations.
Looking for a volunteer project in the New Windsor, MD area? Visit the Brethren Center’s website to learn how you can help pack and prepare LWR Quilts and Kits for their overseas journey!
Join an Ingathering
Each year, dedicated volunteers coordinate LWR Ingatherings — local collections for LWR Quilts & Kits. Groups and congregations pool their donations and share the costs of getting the Quilts & Kits to LWR.
If you know of an Ingathering in your area but do not see it listed, or would like to volunteer to organize a new Ingathering, please let us know.
Quilt & Kit Shipping Fund
It costs LWR about $1.40 per School Kit to deliver it overseas. Please give to the Quilt & Kit Shipping Fund, which pays for the shipping of donated Quilts and Kits.
Give $500 to sponsor a brick in the Good Samaritan Quilt Plaza at our Baltimore headquarters and help send 355 School Kits overseas!
Where do School Kits Go?
Still have questions?