LWR Alert: We Need School Kits!
Right now LWR is in urgent need of School Kits to fulfill requests from partners around the world.
Your donations reach places like Syria, where LWR recently distributed 6,350 School Kits to families affected by the ongoing conflict.
Learn more »
Personal Care Kits
On behalf of the congregations and community, we thank the Lord Almighty and our Christian brothers and sisters who donated these items for which we have been in need of. We pray that God will continue to bless them in all their undertakings.
– Amed Kaimapoh of Calvary Lutheran Church in Freetown, Sierra Leone
When LWR distributes Personal Care Kits, it’s often to people who have lost everything. In the wake of an earthquake, or having fled from violence as their homes were overtaken, they clasp a towel from a faraway place, with a bar of soap, a toothbrush…and washing up, they know that they have not been forsaken by the world.
The very simple gesture of giving a Personal Care Kit can give someone the encouragement to start anew, starting with a bath. You can share God’s grace and love by providing that simple comfort.
What to Include
General Assembly Instructions
Lutheran World Relief’s Quilt & Kit Ministry is highly regarded throughout the world because of the quality and consistency of the Quilts and Kits we share. Your careful adherence to the instructions in this guide will ensure that all LWR Quilts and Kits are:
LWR works closely with our overseas partners to determine the best contents to include in Kits. Your Kits will do the most good possible when containing only the items listed in these guidelines.
Consistency of Quilt sizes and Kit contents helps our partners plan properly for distributing a shipment, and keeps international shipping processes cost-effective and efficient. Disparity in Kit contents can cause costly delays.
When all Kits contain the same items, recipients are treated equally and fairly which is important for those who have already experienced a great deal of injustice or tragedy.
For Quilts and all Kits, please also follow these guidelines:
- Please give new items only, except where otherwise noted. Sending top quality items shows the greatest care and respect for the dignity of the recipient. Quality items also withstand the harsh conditions that many people who receive these supplies are facing.
- Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your congregation’s name. LWR provides Quilts and Kits based on need, regardless of religious creed. Religious references may be misinterpreted by the governments of the receiving countries, jeopardizing the delivery to the people who need the items most.
- Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage. LWR and our overseas partners have access to areas of the world others do not because we are impartial humanitarian organizations. If our intentions are misinterpreted as being politically motivated, our work, our partners and the people we assist could be endangered.
- Please give new items only, except where otherwise noted
- Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your congregation’s name.
- Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage.
Do not add other items or leave out any of the items listed. All items should be new and in good condition. Do not enclose the Kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
Tips & Tricks video about
assembling Personal Care Kits
Include the following items in each Personal Care Kit:
Download Instruction signs for your congregation’s Kit assembly.
One light-weight bath-size towel (between 20"×40" & 52"×27"), dark color recommended
Two or three bath-size bars of soap equaling up to 8-9 oz, any brand, in original wrapping
One adult-size toothbrush in its original packaging*
One sturdy comb, remove packaging
One metal nail clippers (attached file optional), remove packaging
Wrap all the items in the towel and tie securely with ribbons or yarn
*Toothbrush multi-packs may be used by sealing an individual toothbrush in a business-size envelope; no plastic bags or wrap
Quilt & Kit Tracker
You can now log on to our Quilt & Kit Tracker and print out a special barcode to put on your shipment of Quilts & Kits. That way, you and your congregation can track your gifts as they reach those in need all around the world.
Packing & Sending Kits
- Pack completed Quilts and Kits, like items together, in boxes. Label contents in LARGE, BLOCK LETTERS on the outside of the boxes.
- Use strong cartons secured with packing tape, not to exceed 40 pounds.
- Do not use plastic or paper bags to pack donations.
Include the name and address of your congregation on each box, label contents and send prepaid to or drop off at the LWR warehouse closest to you:
Lutheran World Relief
601 Main Street
PO Box 188
New Windsor, MD 21776
Lutheran World Relief
398 East Richmond Street
South St. Paul, MN 55075
The warehouses accept items year-round. Call ahead for driving directions and hours of operation if you are personally delivering your donations.
Looking for a volunteer project in the New Windsor, MD area? Visit the Brethren Center’s website to learn how you can help pack and prepare LWR Quilts and Kits for their overseas journey!
Join an Ingathering
Each year, dedicated volunteers coordinate LWR Ingatherings — local collections for LWR Quilts & Kits. Groups and congregations pool their donations and share the costs of getting the Quilts & Kits to LWR.
If you know of an Ingathering in your area but do not see it listed, or would like to volunteer to organize a new Ingathering, please let us know.
Quilt & Kit Shipping Fund
It costs LWR about $2.65 per Personal Care Kit to add toothpaste and deliver it overseas. Please give to the Quilt & Kit Shipping Fund, which pays for the shipping of donated Quilts and Kits.
Give $500 to sponsor a brick in the Good Samaritan Quilt Plaza at our Baltimore headquarters and help send 185 Personal Care Kits overseas!
Where do Personal Care Kits Go?
Still have questions?