What You Support
AS THE CIVIL WAR IN SYRIA CONTINUES, the number of civilian casualties, internally displaced people (IDP) and refugees continues to grow. According to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), 13.5 million people are in need of assistance, 6.6 million people are displaced within Syria and 4.8 million have sought refuge in neighboring countries such as Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Turkey and Egypt, as well as in several European countries.
Despite recent peace talks, Syrians remain in danger and continue to struggle to meet their basic needs, both in country and as they seek asylum elsewhere.
- LWR is working with a local partner in Syria to offer cash-for-work activities designed to ease the economic strain on internally displaced Syrians, who have few income-generating options, by providing them the opportunity to work on projects like building or restoring community centers, child care centers, hospitals and community kitchens.
- In Jordan, LWR is offering workshops for Syrian refugee women on how to start their own business.
- In northern Iraq (Kurdistan), LWR is working to increase food security, offer psychosocial support, improve water and sanitation systems, and offer skills training to refugees and internally displaced people.
- LWR is shipping Mission Quilts, Baby Care Kits, School Kits and Personal Care Kits to Armenia, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Serbia and Syria for distribution among refugees and IDPs. Since 2011 (the year the civil war began), Lutherans have sent more than $7 million of Quilts and Kits reaching more than 337,000 people.
- LWR is also supporting ACT Alliance members in providing humanitarian support to refugees fleeing to Europe. ACT members are providing hygiene items, winter coats and blankets, emergency shelter and psychosocial support in Hungary, Serbia and Greece.
- We continue to remain in contact with our local partners on the ground and ACT Alliance to determine additional needs and how LWR can assist to meet these needs.
YOU CAN HELP
- Give to the Crisis in Syria fund. Your cash donations will support the response of our partners in the ACT Alliance.
- Make Quilts and Kits. Donating Quilts and Kits helps ensure we have an adequate supply to send around the world to partners who request them, as well as in response to emergencies.
- Pray for the people affected by this crisis and the humanitarian aid staff working to reach them.