LWR has been working in Uganda since 1985, with a concentration in the Bugiri, Busia, Kapchorwa, Mbale, and Rakai Districts. LWR’s partnership with large coffee and maize cooperatives in Uganda has improved the quality as well as increased the volume of sales for both commodities. LWR’s coffee partnerships have enabled over 13,000 small-scale coffee farmers to directly export to specialty coffee and retail marketing outlets. With improved coffee quality, the farmers now receive a higher than the organic and fair trade premiums.
This is a 39-month project targeting 10,000 smallholder farmers in the Greater Mpigi area of Uganda and implemented in partnership with Mpigi, Butambala, Gomba Area Cooperative Enterprise (MBUGO ACE). LWR leveraged resources ($280,273) from a wide variety of stakeholders, including MBUGO, the Grameen Foundation, Opportunity Bank Uganda, Solidaridad, We Effect-Vi Agroforestry, Savannah Commodities, Uganda Coffee Development Authority, Eagle Eye, Progreso and District local governments of Mpigi, Butambala and Gomba to support this project.
Coffee is no longer a major income earner for most farmers in the area due mainly to episodes of diseases and pest attacks and the collapse of the cooperative movement that had, for many years, guaranteed stable coffee markets and prices. In order to deal with this challenge, the project will strengthen the farmer organizations to market higher quality and quantity of coffee and at the same time support farmers enhance productivity through increased investment in production and value addition and the use of ICT-enabled provision of agricultural extension and financial services and marketing to bring about positive and sustainable improvement in the lives of smallholder farmers.
- Goal: To improve the livelihoods of men and women smallholder farmers and their families in Greater Mpigi area through sustainable Robusta coffee production.
- Objective: Targeted Robusta coffee farmers increase their income from coffee sales.
- Outcome 1: Targeted farmers have increased Robusta coffee productivity and quality. This outcome will be achieved through access to 1) qualified and effective ICT-enabled extension support, 2) high quality inputs and 3) improved value addition and reduction in post-harvest losses.
- Outcome 2: MBUGO ACE provides sustainable and fair/ equitable service to farmers along the Robusta coffee value chain farmers though the development and use of sound organizational policies, procedures and outreach practices.
- Outcome 3: Targeted farmers meet sustainable coffee production standards to access sustainable Robusta coffee markets.