Global food security has long been a focus for Lutheran World Relief. We work with poor rural farmers around the world, who face unstable harvests and unpredictable weather patterns, creating a life of deprivation for themselves and their children. With your support, LWR projects work to provide the tools and training they need to grow crops, earn income and help their families transition from survival to stability.
More than 20 million people around the world are in need of food assistance and 1.4 million children around the world are malnourished.[source] Famine has been declared in South Sudan, while Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen teeter on the brink of famine.
Please join us on Sunday, May 21 in observing a Day of Prayer to End Famine, with our friends at IMA World Health and World Council of Churches. To help your congregation take part in this day of prayer, our friends at the WCC are making available a collection of resources, prayers, photos and videos.
- A Call for a Global Day of Prayer to End Famine – Letter from WCC and AACC general secretaries (pdf)
- Messages with bible verses and reflections (pdf)
- Fact sheet – Global Day of Prayer to End Famine (pdf)
- Order of worship (pdf)
- Short version – Order of worship (pdf)
- Song proposals for Global Day of Prayer to End Famine (pdf)
- Ten Commandments of Food – Advocacy kit for congregations (pdf)