Lutheran World Relief (“LWR”) has established this Privacy and Security Policy to inform you of our policies and practices regarding how we collect information from you, how we use and disclose it, and your choices with respect to such information.
Collection and Use of Information
We may collect personally identifiable information such as your first and last name, your home or other physical address, your electronic mail address, your credit card number, your bank or brokerage account information and other similar information.
When you visit our web site located at lwr.org and any co-branded or successor site (the “Website”), LWR may ask you for and collect personally identifiable information from you to provide certain products and services to you; to communicate with you; to provide customer service and support to you; to send promotional e-mails and information about our company; for internal marketing and promotional purposes; and for any other purpose specified at the time of collection. For example, we may request personally identifiable information from you when you request information concerning our services or when you make a donation to a charity. Credit card numbers are used for processing payments and for no other purposes.
LWR may collect personally identifiable information about you whenever you interact with us including, but not limited to, the following:
- information we collect from you from applications, registrations and other forms; and
- information about your transactions with us, our business partners and our suppliers.
We may also collect information from third parties and combine it with information you provide.
We may also collect certain information automatically when you use our website, such as your IP address, cookie information and the page you requested. We use this information to help us improve and operate our website and other online offerings.
Sharing of Information
To serve people in need around the world, LWR may occasionally share our mailing lists with other nonprofit organizations. If you want to opt out of such sharing, let us know by contacting us at 800.597.5972 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may also disclose some personal identifiable information as follows:
- to business partners, suppliers and other third parties that help us to provide certain products and services to you, to process payments and to process donations;
- in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with LWR’s rights or property, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities, or if we believe disclosure will help to prevent such injury or interference;
- in special circumstances, such as the merger or sale or potential sale of LWR or its assets (in whole or in part) or the bankruptcy of LWR; and
- when we believe in good faith that it is required or permitted by law.
We may use third-party service providers to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. They may collect anonymous information about your visits to our Website, and your interaction with our site and services. They may also use information about your transactions and visits to this and other Websites to deliver customized advertisements. This anonymous information is collected through the use of pixels and cookies, which are industry standard technologies used by most major web sites and explained further below. Some of these third-party service providers may be participants or members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA). If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this anonymous information used by our third-party service providers, please visit NAI at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ and DAA at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
You may edit your marketing preferences and/or opt out of receiving communications from LWR. We also provide you with the opportunity to access, review and correct your personally identifiable information. You may contact us regarding these options by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing communications from LWR, LWR may still send you certain communications relating to this Website that are considered part of your account, such as technical alerts, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
Links to other sites
There may be links to other web sites from the pages on our Website that take you outside our service. LWR has no control over these web sites or how they collect, distribute or otherwise use any personal information, and LWR is not responsible or liable for the policies, actions or content of such web sites. We encourage you to review the terms of service and privacy policies available at these other web sites.
LWR maintains compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards v3.1 (PCI/DSS).
Data Storage & Disposal:
LWR has implemented data retention and disposal policies, procedures and processes that include the following:
- The amount and time that data is stored is limited to that which is required for legal, regulatory, and/or business requirements.
- LWR has a quarterly review process for identifying and securely deleting stored cardholder data that exceeds defined retention.
Protecting Cardholder Data:
- LWR does not store sensitive data after authorization (even if encrypted).
- LWR encrypts transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks.
- LWR restricts staff’s access — including physical access — to cardholder data by business “need to know.”
- LWR masks Primary Account Numbers (PAN) when displayed. Once entered, staff are only able to see the last four digits of a credit card number.
- LWR deploys anti-virus software on all systems.
LWR maintains and ensures that security polices and operational procedures for use and transmissions of cardholder data are documented, in use, and known to all affected parties.
However, no Website can be 100% secure and we cannot guarantee the safety or security of any information transmitted to or from this Website. To access and use certain online services on the Website, we may ask you to select a unique user name and password. We encourage you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and computer. To further prevent such unauthorized access, you should sign off when you have finished accessing or using the Website or using your computer.
Changes to This Policy
LWR reserves the right, at any time and from time to time, to change or modify the privacy and security practices that are described herein. We will post any updated policy on our Website. Please visit this area frequently to stay informed.
If you have comments or questions about our Privacy and Security Policy, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Acceptance of These Terms
By using this Website, you acknowledge and agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy and Security Policy. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not use this Website.
Effective Date: October 9, 2015.