Share Your Good Work!
Be sure to upload a picture of your kits to Facebook or Twitter
Include the following items in each Baby Care Kit:
Some important guidelines to remember.
- Please include sizes between 6 and 24 months. Varying the sizes of the clothing items included will make the Baby Care Kit useful as the baby grows.
- Sweaters may be knitted or crocheted from leftover yarn, or made from heavy double knits or fleece. Select a pattern that suits your skill level. Preferred styles have buttons or ties down the front.
- Diapers can be made from flannel or even by recycling t-shirts. Download a Diaper Tip Sheet with instructions.
- If knitting or crocheting receiving blankets, including one knitted/crocheted blanket and one flannel blanket will provide maximum versatility.
- Onesies can be cut and hemmed or serged to make a simple t-shirt.
- Gowns, rompers or top/pants sets can be substituted for sleepers.
- Download a Baby Gown Pattern to sew your own (.pdf).
- Download a Hooded Baby Cape Pattern to sew your own (.pdf).
- All items should be new and in good condition. This is especially important as used clothing is increasingly difficult to get through customs in many countries. Even one item that looks worn or stained to local officials can jeopardize the status of a whole shipment.
- Please give new items only, except where otherwise noted.
- Please do not donate items with any religious symbols, messages or your group’s name.
- Please do not donate any items decorated with a U.S. flag, patriotic or military symbols, or references to the armed forces, including camouflage.
- Do not add other items or leave out any of the items listed.
- Do not enclose the Kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
How to pack your Project Promise Kits
- Pack completed Kits, like items together, in boxes. Label contents in LARGE, BLOCK LETTERS on the outside of the boxes.
- Use strong cartons secured with packing tape, not to exceed 40 pounds.
- Do not use plastic or paper bags to pack donations.
- Include the name and address of your group or congregation on each box and label the contents
Getting Kits to people in need.
You can either locate a local gathering site, or dropoff or send your prepaid boxes directly to one of these warehouses.
Lutheran World Relief
601 Main Street
PO Box 188
New Windsor, MD 21776
398 East Richmond Street
South St. Paul, MN 55075
The warehouses accept items year-round. Call ahead for driving directions and hours of operation if you are personally delivering your donations.